Santa Monica Sleep Disorders Center
Sleep Medicine Specialists located in Los Angeles, CA
Fatigue, either physical or mental, can take a toll on the body and inhibit the quality of life. Long-term fatigue also can be the sign of an underlying cause, such as disease. Daniel Norman, MD, of Santa Monica Sleep Disorders Center in Santa Monica, California, evaluates fatigue symptoms and determines a proper course of treatment. Call the office today to schedule an appointment or consultation.
Fatigue Q & A
Fatigue is a symptom produced by the body where the individual feels lethargic or exhausted. When fatigue is mental, it’s often described as a lack of energy or motivation. Fatigue is a very common complaint and can often be the result of an illness, a lack of nutrients, or overexertion either in a mental or physical capacity. Often, the symptoms from fatigue are gradual, and the individual may not be aware of how much energy they’ve lost until they self reflect. Individuals with fatigue may have complaints, though these complaints vary from patient to patient. It’s important to have a skilled specialist, such as Dr. Norman, evaluate your fatigue to ensure a proper diagnosis is made for the underlying cause of the symptoms.
What causes fatigue?
There are many potential causes for fatigue, and they vary from person to person. Some of the more common causes of fatigue can be broken down into the following categories:
- Metabolic/Endocrine: Anemia, hypothyroidism, diabetes, electrolyte abnormalities, kidney disease, liver disease, Cushing's disease
- Infectious: Infectious mononucleosis, hepatitis, tuberculosis, cytomegalovirus, HIV infection, influenza (flu), malaria, and many other infectious diseases
- Cardiac (heart) and Pulmonary (lungs): Congestive heart failure, coronary artery disease, valvular heart disease, COPD, asthma, arrhythmias, pneumonia
- Medications: Antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, sedative medications, medication and drug withdrawal, antihistamines, steroids, some blood pressure medications, some antidepressants
- Psychiatric (Mental Health): Depression, anxiety, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, eating disorders like bulimia or anorexia, grief and bereavement
- Sleep Problems: Sleep apnea, reflux esophagitis, insomnia, narcolepsy, shift work or work shift changes, pregnancy
- Vitamin Deficiencies: Vitamin B12 deficiency, vitamin D deficiency, folic acid deficiency, iron deficiency
Other causes of fatigue include illnesses like cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, and systemic lupus, fibromyalgia, or chronic fatigue syndrome. Obesity is also a contributing factor. Dr. Norman evaluates patients to discover what causes the fatigue.
What are the signs and symptoms of fatigue?
Fatigue is a symptom of an underlying disease. It can be accompanied by a feeling of weakness, constantly tiredness, or the general sense of lacking energy. There may be other symptoms associated with fatigue, depending upon the underlying cause. For instance, individuals with heart disease or anemia may complain of shortness of breath. It’s important that Dr. Norman evaluates the fatigue in context of the patient’s other symptoms, as this allows for a more accurate diagnosis and subsequent treatment plan.
Major Insurances Providers Accepted
At Santa Monica Sleep Disorders Center, we are in-network with many major PPO plans, and are Medicare providers. Please check with us to see if our practice is included in your health insurance network. Please be sure to provide your insurance information prior to your first visit, and update us if your insurance status changes so that we can check benefits and process claims in the most efficient manner.
Words from our patients
"Most wonderful caring MD. Very involved with his patients well being and will tell you the truth"
"He's very nice, knowledgeable and offered me the right solutions for better sleep and adjustments of my CPAP machine."
"f you need a sleep study. This is the place. You won't be disappointed. Thank you Dr. Norman"